History of 1442 Congregation
In 1979 a small group of Christians began meeting in Orange, Texas. For several months we worshiped in a rented building on Hwy 87. In 1980 the church began to meet at the home of Freddy & Mary Shores. There were a few families that worshipped together in Brother Shores’ home until a ½ acre of land was given to the church.
The members built a church there and began to call themselves the McLewis Church of Christ. The group consisted of several who have passed on to be with the Lord. Fred & Carron Shores and Hamp & Lavergne Shores will always be remembered for their participation and leadership during these early days.
The church expanded the building in the early 1990’s and built a new building in 2010 at our current location on FM 1442, north of Interstate 10.
The 1442 Church of Christ has been engaged in spreading the gospel both locally and in many different endeavors such as India, Nigeria, Belize and all around the United States. Many evangelists have been supported in our desire to further the Kingdom of Christ.
Today, we have many members who have grown up in the church over the last 40 years, married there and are now raising their children there. We are seeking to work diligently in our local community and beyond to spread the good news and love of our Savior Jesus Christ. We pray that God blesses our efforts in His Kingdom!